The Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance will be at COP22, presenting at several events.
Financing Brazil’s NDC through innovative instruments: An introduction to the Brazil Lab
November 9, 2016 – 14:00-15:00, Brasil Pavilion, Blue Zone*
This event will bring together representatives from the U.S., Brazil, the Global Lab, and previous winning instruments to introduce participants to the Brazil Lab, sharing best practices and lessons learned on developing instruments that can help to support finance for climate mitigation and adaptation. Introductory remarks and a brief overview presentation by the Secretariat will be followed by a panel discussion with opportunities for participants to ask questions.
- Opening remarks: Karen Florini, Deputy Special Envoy for Climate Change, U.S. State Department
- Opening remarks: Secretary Felipe Ferreira, Division of Climate Change, Brazil
- Panelist: Amal-Lee Amin, Inter-American Development Bank
- Panelist: Ricardo Nogueira, US Department of State
- Panelist: Rafael de Soler, Division of Climate Change, Brazil
- Moderated by: Dr. Barbara Buchner, Executive Director, Climate Finance, Climate Policy Initiative, Lab Secretariat
Experiences and innovative approaches to accessing and/or mobilising climate change finance for adaptation
November 9, 2016 – 16:30-18:00, EU Pavilion, Blue Zone*
This side event will discuss new practices, processes and partnerships that are being tested to advance adaptation action so as to identify solutions that can be realistically adopted by implementing stakeholders, while ensuring results that are responding to the needs of societies. Dr. Barbara Buchner will share insights on how the instruments developed under the Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance can reduce private investors’ risks, costs, or improve their financial returns to help address the adaptation needs of developing countries. Click here to read more.
Innovative Climate Finance
November 10, 2016 – 10:30-12:00, EU Pavilion, Blue Zone*
The private sector is fundamental to reaching the $100billion climate finance goal but how do we work with them effectively to leverage private investment in climate funds? Using three of the UK and Germany’s more innovative climate mitigation investments – the Global Innovation Lab, the Global Climate Partnership Fund, and the Climate Public Private Partnership, this panel will discuss achievements and successes, lessons learned, the remaining barriers to scaling up private sector involvement and using financial innovation to allow investment at scale. Panelists include:
- Abyd Karmali, Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Angelina Avgeropoulou, BEIS, UK
- Norbert Goriβen, BMUB, Germany
- Antoine Predour, responsAbility
- Vikram Widge, IFC
- Laird Reed, IFC
- Hosted by Dr. Barbara Buchner, Executive Director, Climate Finance, CPI
Finance as a Lever for Change: Innovative finance models that support those in need and enable scaling of technology and solutions
November 13, 2016 – 14:30-15:30, Hotel Palm Plaza, World Climate Summit
This CPI-led panel will bring together high-level public and private sector actors from the Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance to share solutions for unlocking finance for developing countries’ low-carbon investment, climate resilience and adaptation needs. Panelists include:
- Abyd Karmali, Managing Director, Climate Finance at Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Vikram Widge, Head, Climate Finance & Policy, IFC, World Bank Group
- Mafalda Duarte, Program Manager, Climate Investment Funds (CIFs)
- Moderated by Dr. Barbara Buchner, Executive Director, Climate Finance, CPI
Unlocking Private Finance for Climate – From Talk to Action
November 14, 2016 – 13:30-14:30, U.S. Center, Blue Zone*
This CPI-led panel event brings together high-level public and private sector actors from the Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance to share their experience, solutions, and best practices for unlocking finance for the world’s climate mitigation and adaptation needs. Panelists and speakers include:
- Karsten Loeffler, Managing Director, Allianz Climate Solutions
- Ricardo Nogueira, Senior Climate Finance Officer, US Department of State
- Paddy Padmanathan, President and CEO of ACWA Power
- Vikram Widge, Head, Climate Finance & Policy, IFC, World Bank Group
- Moderated by Dr. Barbara Buchner, Executive Director, Climate Finance Climate Policy Initiative, Lab Secretariat
Innovation labs for subnational climate finance
November 15, 2016 – 17:00-18:30, Room Bouregreg, Green Zone
Organized by the Cities Climate Finance Leadership Alliance (CCFLA), this event aims to bring together climate finance laboratories, investors, practitioners, and local authorities, to showcase and discuss existing initiatives and practical examples of approaches intended to accelerate climate action at the urban level. The side-event will gather practitioners and international experts in the field of subnational climate finance including Dr. Barbara Buchner, to share their views, knowledge and practical approach to some of the most important issues on cities climate financing. Click here to read more.
The role of Brazil, agriculture and forestry in the Paris Agreement agenda
November 17, 2016 – 16:45 – 18:15, Room Bering (150) – Blue Zone*
The Paris Agreement has entered into force. What is going to happen now? How can Brazil implement, cooperate, and share knowledge and experiences with other strategic players? The challenge of implementing the NDC seems even more relevant for those countries with a large forest asset. Brazil stands out as an important player and has the great task of discussing how its goals will be implemented. The Brazilian Coalition on Climate, Forests and Agriculture has built a forum for discussion and co-creation among key players of Brazilian society – civil society, private sector, academia and financial sector – to help in the transition to a low-carbon economy, including solutions and investment opportunities for sustainable agriculture and forestry. This event intends to bring together decision and opinion makers from countries that are key in these fields in order to learn and share experiences about the political, technical and financial aspects of the Paris Agreement implementation agenda.
- Blairo Maggi – Minister of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply of Brazil
- José Sarney Filho – Minister of Environment of Brazil
- Ethel Sennhauser – Director of the Agriculture Global Practice, World Bank
- Barbara Buchner – Executive Director, Climate Policy Initiative
- Marcelo Furtado – Facilitator, Brazilian Coalition on Climate, Forests and Agriculture
- Erick Solheim – Executive Director, UNEP – to be confirmed
Unlocking Private Finance for Resilience – From Talk to Action
November 18, 2016 – 10:30-12:00, EU Pavilion, Blue Zone*
The panel will discuss two initiatives that are focused on mobilizing private finance at scale:
- GNIPlus works at the systemic, national level to create the enabling environments –the regulatory and policy frameworks – to allow private finance to flow.
- The Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance identifies, develops, and launches cutting edge climate finance instruments to drive billions of dollars of private investment into climate mitigation and adaptation in developing countries.
These two initiatives offer practical solutions to the challenge of mobilizing private finance for adaptation and resilience. They also have the ability to accelerate NDC implementation and move quickly from talk to action. Panelists include:
- Jane Wilkinson, Director, Climate Policy Initiative
- Fraser Brown, IUCN and World Agroforestry Center
- Alex Mulisa, FONERWA
- Baronness Scotland, Secretary General of the Commonwealth
- Moderated by Chris Dodwell, Ricardo Energy & Environment
For more information about Lab events, contact Elysha Davila, firstname.lastname@example.org.